Saturday, March 13, 2010

Whopper whit cheese.....NOT!

Whoa!!! I don’t want to be the biggest hypocrite in the classroom; because I love to have me a big, fat juicy whopper cheeseburger with the fries and coke every now and then, but after watching FOOD, INC., I have definitely put my whole nourishment intake in perspective, especially when it comes to my whopper. Seeing how corporate America has been able to fool the everyday consumer with an imitation of what may appear to be safe, economical wholesome food is scary. I mean, we all know that fast food restaurant such as McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, etc…are not exactly the best source of sustenance in the food pyramid, but after seeing the ordeal both the animals (cattle, chicken and even fish) and the farmers have to undergo to supply said restaurants with their demands, it takes away the “Beer goggles” I have been wearing all these years which made that poor excuse of a meal pass for a scrumptious feast. For those of us who go to school and work, we often find ourselves caught in a bit of a pickle when it comes to getting our daily rations. The ones who don’t bring food from their homes (like me) resort to getting it elsewhere. Like many others. I have satisfied my hunger countless times at a fast food restaurant such as the ones stated earlier without any concern for what it may cause to my health or body. Who would think that it can take just a cheeseburger to end a life? Not me, not in a million years. These titans of the fast food world are like “drug dealers” keeping Americans “junkies” addicted to their manufactured brand of “drug”. It may sound like a silly comparison, but it is true. And as long as we stay dumb, deaf and blind to the truth they will continue keep doing so. Hence forward, I have opted to scrutinize my nourishment by carefully watching what I ingest, not so much about the calories but by making sure it is a healthy intake of food. I guess I’ll have to find a new reason as to why I became known as “The Whopper”.

11 comments:

  1. you are right dude plus, On the negative side, I just think its a shame that the opposing point of view is not represented (most of the coporations in question in the film refused to participate). So like a Michael Moore movie, it provides a unique way of looking at an established system and convincingly sells its point of view; but is similar also in its one-sidedness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support your opinion.
    It is also come to my concern that what should we eat now. When many people do not have time to cook at home or (like you) they have to eat outside or in a restaurant. FDA and USDA are corrupt. They supposed to give our food safety instead they are giving us unhealthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totaly agree with you about the drug thing, this is why we have to educate ourself and others about this and take control of what we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way to change the way things are now is start voicing our opinions on this matter. The government has ties with everything and keeping everything silent. All it takes one voice to be heard. We can start now and this is a good forum to do so. We start educating ourselves by learning from others..

    ReplyDelete
  5. "These titans of the fast food world are like “drug dealers” keeping Americans “junkies” addicted to their manufactured brand of “drug”." ... I agree with your comparison! It's very similar, addiction is hard to break and breaking the old eating habits will not be easy. But we must do it, and not ask for change but demand it. Wish you luck with your whopper situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whayner -
    I love the colorful comparisons! Sometimes we see food as so delicious and we tune out everything we know about its quality (aka Beer Googles).

    As for fast food as an addiction:
    http://www.thefitshack.com/2007/10/02/fast-food-heroine-and-food-addiction-whats-the-connection/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you,it makes us wonder what are we eating and how is affecting our health.Beef taste really good, but it's not healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes you are so correct, I also resort to fast food once in the while when I get out of work or school but im almost at the point of tuning out all fast food. The food system is corrupt and cant be changed unless we put in some effort to send a message to the food administration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your right fast food is like drugs. It's like a quick fix for hunger and the prices will draw you in even faster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I enjoyed watching both movies, I would say Fifth Element. If I am not mistaken, there is a scene in the film where people are struggling with food and they actually have green and yellow things to replace the real food. So if we don't act now by educating our selves, going less to fast foods, and changing our diet-yes, that's where we are heading-Fifth Element.

    ReplyDelete